Thursday, May 14, 2009

The funniest thing just happened!

So I have not kept up with this blog very well, but I have to tell you the funniest story ever! I was reading some letters that I just got today from home. Most of the people in my group came over to just hang out and they have to be home by 10 for curfew. Three of them left at 9:40 to be home on time. Fortunatly or unfortunaltly they took the same elevator down the 15 stories that is my apartment building. At level four they were stalled and became trapped in the small 5x5 Elevator. At 10:05 I get a phone call from Emily that went like this "MEGAN!!!WE ARE TRAPPED IN THE ELEVATOR, GET US OUT, GET US OUT, CALL OUR HOST FAMILIES AND TELL THEM THAT WE WILL BE LATE, GET US OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MY PHONE IS DYING, GET US OUT, MY PHONE IS DYING. Click. I needed to know what floor they were on so I ran out of my aparment and on to the elevator landing pad with only my socks and phone. I was trying to hear them scream. I turned around to see the door to my apartment floor close and I do not have keys, or shoes. I am now locked out of my apartment without shoes trying to get the three American's in the Russian elevator out. I do not speak Russian! So I rang my neighbors doorbell hoping that she would come unlock the outer door for me. She is not home. I wait another two minutes deciding what to do, and then someone from my floor opens the door. I sprint into the corridor shouting "Sbaseebah" and grabbing my shoes, keys and phone list as I frantically call people that will know how to get them out. Everyone I called was not home, or never answered their phone accept for Ted, who didn't know what to do either. That was when I decided that I would manually pull the doors open. That would be the adrenaline and momma bear talking. I started checking every floor to figure out where they were. It sounded like they were on every floor. I got to the sixth floor and asked them if they could hear me. They started to scream so I thought that sounded promising. I realized shortly after trying to get the doors open that they would not come with just me pulling. I began to cry out of frustration and helplessness that I felt. I went onto the balcony and prayed a very short plea for Heavenly Father to get the three stranded people out of the elevator. Not two minutes later did I hear them yelp out of surprise and a lot of noise coming from the fourth floor. I sprinted down the two more sets of stairs to find them laughing and angry at the fact that they had been stuck in the elevator for an hour. They were so grateful to the Russian man that used the jaws of life to get them out because Gabe needed to fart, Nathaly needed to pee and Emily was hyperventilating. They told me as we all jogged back up to my apartment that Nathaly almost peed in a bottle. After we get into my apartment and everyone has taken care of their needs, Emily turns to me and asks me "What took you so long?" I started to laugh so hard the tears streamed down my face as I said that I had come running out of my apartment to hear where they were that I locked my self out of my house and couldn't get a hold of anyone that would have been helpful in getting them out. Even now I am laughing at the fact that this is not a movie, things like this really do happen, and God answers even the most simple prayers. I am reminded of Elder Worthlin's last talk before he died. We should laugh at our adversities. Life is good.

3 comments:

Luke and Erin said...

Holy Crap! Who does that? Oh, I am still laughing! That wins story of the year, I am thinking about copy and pasting it on my blog! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Luke and Erin said...

btw I was telling this story and jer said "Mom tell her to call Handy Manny next time. He knows how to fix stuff"
So the next time you have people stuck in an elevator, and you get locked out of your house, just call Handy Manny. He knows how to fix stuff.

Jake and Madi said...

hahahaha oh megan! your life really should be a movie! hahaha i love it. oh and bad news, i'm probably leaving this wednesday so i won't be able to see you! rarr!! but we do need to talk. travel safely!