Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Red Square and Food

This is Red Square. I am bottom center.

This is the food at the school. The stuff at the top right is Borshed. I was surprised at how good tasting it is. All of the food at the cafeteria is so amazing. The trip to Red Square was a lot of fun. You can even go ice skating. My group and I decided that it sounded like fun so you might get to see us skating on Red Square. Right next to this is the most expensive mall in the whole world. We walked through it and Ted says, this is one of the only places where the missionaries really fit in because everyone else is in a suit. The security guards even had name tags.
We are planning a trip to the outdoor markets where you get to barder with gipsys. I am so super excited. I don't speak Russian though...I don't think it will be quite as easy as China was.
I start teaching today and that should be exciting and crazy seeing as I don't really know what I am doing. Our native coordinator has been helping the other groups out and because we got there last, we are the last to get remembered, plus, Ted speaks Russian and Gulya just asumes that he knows what to do. So we have all had to pull together and learn how to work as a team and figure things out on our own. My only problem is, I don't know what I am doing. I make a great leader! lol
Nathaly is one of the girls in my group and she is hispanic. She is also very good-looking. We are teaching at an almost all boys wrestling school. Did I mention that Bejings olymipic gold metalist in wrestling last year was from this school? Yeah. Nathaly has been overwhelmed with all of the new best friends she has. Gabe, is from Idaho and is super sarcastic told us that he ran into the girl of his dreams yesterday after she gave him a coat for 75% off. He then said she followed him outside and lit a cigarette. It killed it for him after that. It has been fun to have some novelty people here. In China, they told me I looked Chinese, in Russia they tell me I look Russian. I am not a novelty anywhere...dang. lol
Cooking for myself has been an adventure. I can't read any of the labels on food, so I just guess what is inside. So far it has worked out for me. I'll have to post pictures of the best concoctions I have made. Or the worst.
I cleaned out the fridge yesterday and almost puked. It smells much better in the apartment now. The food that was just left to rot in the fridge and then it looked like the actual shelves hadn't been cleaned since they bought it. *Shiver* It is all clean now. I suppose a whole summer of cleaning out apartments gave some real life expirence to me. Very practical.
I'll have to write more about the school next time. So, for now have a happy day because I have to go!

1 comments:

Luke and Erin said...

Wow! It looks like some kind of castle. What is it excatly?
Ice skating sound really fun!
Good luck teaching today/yesterday, whatever!